Monday, June 27, 2005

Ultimate Tournament in Anchorage



Above was an excellent layout. Last weekend I played for the yellow team in an ultimate frisbee tournament in Anchorage. I played alright, had much fun, and got the back of my legs really sunburned. Must write more later.

Today, went to court twice. Everything went fine. I'm starting to get more work from more people, and that seems right. Tonight I gotta help clean up the former couchspace (not that it's dirty, but), feed and walk the dogs, eat some salmon caught yesterday in the Copper River, and I think that's all.

(added July 7): More about the court stuff: I went for a pre-trial conference, but we couldn't get anything done since the DA had not sent us the discovery aka "disco," which is documents including the police report and the plea offer. If we don't have the police report, we don't know if it's a good or bad case for the client. If we don't have the DA's offer, we can't know if the client would rather take that than go to trial. My supervising atty. that day then handed me a few files I hadn't really seen before, whispered a few words of instruction, and hey! time to think on my feet, but it went alright.

Then I watched another atty. do a bail hearing, one of the third party kind. Which is, in AK, where you can get out on bail if you can get someone to say "I'll keep the defendant within my sight and sound for as long as the court says, or until he's gotta be back here, and if the defendant gets away from me, I won't chase him. Instead, I'll call the cops on him, and if I don't, then I face a charge that could put me in jail."

But of course it takes longer than that, and there's lots of questions involved, and ok. It's odd but it gets done a lot. An alternative is electronic monitoring, which is a machine locked on your ankle, which may include an alcohol monitor, which measures through your skin the alcohol in your body.

After work I went and walked Charlie but not Sugar or Stevie Ray (see above). Then I had a lot of good salmon (under rainbow, see above).