Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Catching up

Coffee shop in Palmer started charging for access to internets, so I drove to the next place I could find, which is too many miles away, which I know now that I'm here, but, anyway.

Things here:
This Public Defender office is very very good and nice. People very friendly, enough of them, anyway, and those that I have the most to do with are really generous with their help and time.

Today marks a full week at work at the "PD." I've been to court a couple of times: once to talk, and once to watch. The time I went to talk, I found out that the client had found a lot more trouble, felonies now, which would require another attorney, so, I didn't talk in court that day.

But I'm supposed to be there in court to talk tomorrow at 8:30 in the morning. Which is early for me. I think I'm ready. But I'll probably get nervous. It's for a "COP," I mean, Change of Plea, just one of the many acronyms I'm learning, and it's just the name for the proceeding where the defense attorney (for whom I'll speak) and the prosecutor and the defendant tell the judge that they've struck a deal, and the defendant will plead "no contest," and the defendant will have to do what's been agreed to, such as pay a part of the fine, serve a part of the time, etc.

...

I'm sitting in this coffee shop playing rotten recent moderate rock, but at least the car alarm in front of the place just stopped honking off. The coffee shop is in a shopping plaza, so, feels not so much like anyplace anywhere with a shopping plaza. This part of the state, they tell me, has grown a lot, a whole lot, in the past ten years. Driving around here, this part of the state (the Matanuska-Susitna Valley) is a lot like driving around most places with sprawling development. However, Palmer is kind-of at the edges (that spread up from Anchorage), so, it's easier to get out of the sprawl than in most places, and also there are the mountains that set it apart. I've never been anywhere that beats here for mountains.

So now to post this and see if it sticks.