Friday, July 15, 2005

July 15

More logistics for Independent Study.

In court for a Trial Call. Had a deal and asked judge if could explain it, and he said ok, but didn't want to get it done today. Instead, we set a date for a hearing for a Change of Plea.

Now waiting for my ride to Fairbanks for the tournament. Packed and ready to go, and happy not to have to do all that driving myself, but who knows maybe I'll end up wishing I had. In any case I'm looking forward to being there. I needed a reason to go to Fairbanks, more than just that I wanted to see it, see that part of the state, the second biggest city in AK, get back up north where the days are a little longer. Tournament is the perfect extra reason.

Also, in the tournament I played in a few weeks ago, my team played a Fairbanks team. Called themselves the "Moustache Rodeo," wore jean cut-offs with pink tank-tops (both men and women) and sported mullets. They drove to Anchorage in a Greyhound-type bus that is at least twenty years old. Good People.

What else... outside today it looks like Knoxville air. Hazy down low, hard to see much of the mountains. It was like this a few weeks ago. Turns out it's from wildfires. A few weeks ago, the fires were near both Fairbanks and Kenai. This time, seems all the smoke is from the peninsula, down south. So I hope it's not smoky all the way up to Fairbanks. I've seen a picture taken near Denali last year, and the smoke is so bad you can't see the mountain at all. Denali, I should add, is on the way to Fairbanks.