Wednesday, July 13, 2005

July 1

Requested a reset for a client who hates her lawyers (me, sort of, on that day). She's in court for driving without a license. She says she has a license, issued by her village. The state would drop the charge if she'd get a license, issued by the state. Instead, she comes to court and demands her attorneys' credentials.

Also set for Change of Plea a case involving a minor consuming alcohol. I'd been trying for days to reach the client, and had left messages, but when I got to court both the court clerk and the DA said they'd heard from the client's mother, who'd said they couldn't make it to court. But then they showed up anyway and we got everything taken care of and so good.

Another intern was there too, and this was when he was doing the trial in which I'd seen him make opening statement(s). Opposite him in that trial was the same DA opposite both of us for these hearings, and this intern and this DA were arguing over discovery in one of his new cases, I mean they were really going at it, saying things like "well that's for the jury to decide, isn't it?"

That night was when I went fishing the first time at Caswell Creek, when I went swimming, trying in vain to retrieve a borrowed lure. I'd arrived late to leave, which is why my ride said that there were two things you can't be late for: church and fishing.